Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Are We Human...Or Are We Dancers?



There are so many reasons why I love this youtube video. Here are a couple of reasons:
i) it is an artistic masterpiece representing the interconnectedness of human kind
ii) it shows the universality of dance
iii) it reminds me of the beauty and richness of cultures other than the West 
iv) it stimulates my love and passion for traveling and experiencing God's glory worldwide
v) it shows that even though humans are separated by race, class, caste, culture, ethnicity, religion, social norms, language, political ideology, & geography, there are still so many things that make us all one in the same... there are universal traits of humanity that extend over every race and continent. Dance, is one of the simple forms of expression which unifies humans and extends across nations. But on a larger scale, humans everywhere are searching for ways to express themselves because I believe humans are all, whether they know it or not, spiritual beings. Every human has a spirit which determines the values and beliefs most inherent to the core of who they are as a person. I believe it is this spirit which craves expression, love, relationships and meaningful activity....cravings that are intrinsic to humans worldwide and unite even the most conflicting groups, from Israelis to Palestinians. 

Here is a quote from my all time favourite Shakespeare play, The Merchant of Venice. In line with what I've just been discussing, it shows that even though humans are 'separated' by race, we are all very much the same:


Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hands, organs,
dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with
the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject
to the same diseases, heal'd by the same means,
warm'd and cool'd by the same winter and summer
as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed?
If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us,
do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?
If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that.



***One day I will travel the world and dance up a storm... maybe not literally, but I do have a yearning to share God's love to the nations and bring joy to all those I meet along the way. But for now, I just have to patient and wait to see what God has in store. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment